How to Reset a Check Engine Light on a Toyota
While driving around Lowell, Dracut, or Tewksbury, you may notice an icon of an engine with the word CHECK under it, this is your check engine light.
If it appears on the Toyota dashboard, you can reset your check engine light yourself, or have the experts at Ira Toyota of Tewksbury take care of it. Below, we’ll tell you how to reset a check engine light in a Toyota. Read through this Reset Check Engine Light guide and contact us if you have any questions. Give our service center a call at 978-569-1818 today!
How to Reset a Check Engine Light 3 Ways
Using a Scan Tool
If you choose to use a scanning tool, then follow these steps…
- Connect the scan tool to the onboard diagnostic connector. This is found under the steering column. Make sure the ignition is switched to ON and that all the accessories in the vehicle are turned off.
- Press the READ button on the scan tool, and look for any error codes.
- Press the ERASE button on the tool to remove the error code. The check engine light will then turn off.
Battery Disconnecting Technique
The battery disconnecting technique method, and can be done by following these steps…
- Disconnect the car battery cables. Use a wrench to remove the positive and negative cables.
- Drain any remaining electricity. Press and hold the car horn for about 30 seconds to drain any electricity from the vehicle’s capacitor.
- Wait to reconnect the battery. You’ll want to wait about 15 minutes for the error codes to be deleted and the engine light to turn off. Once that’s done, you can go ahead and re-install the car battery cables.
Fix The Car’s Problem
It’s important to note that the above methods aren’t foolproof. If there’s an issue with your Toyota, then the check engine light will come back on. If that’s the case, the only way to reset the check engine light is to get the problem that’s triggering the light fixed.
Bring your Toyota to a mechanic, who will accurately determine why the check engine light is coming on in the first place. It could be as simple as the gas cap is loose, damaged, or missing. The oxygen sensor may need to be replaced. Or, your car may need new spark plugs or plug wires.
Whatever the issue may be, once it gets resolved, the check engine light will go off and stay off.
If Resetting Your Check Engine Light Doesn’t Work
If your check engine light won’t turn off, then bring your Toyota to our state-of-the-art service center. Our certified technicians have the skills and know-how to not only properly reset the light, but to also make sure that the rest of the vehicle is in great working order.
To make an appointment, either give us a call or schedule it online. Give us some information about your car, along with a day and time that work for you. We’ll then reach out to confirm your service appointment.
If your Toyota needs the check engine light reset near Lowell, Dracut, or Tewksbury, don’t wait. Schedule service at Ira Toyota of Tewksbury today!