How to Change Oil
Unless you can’t reach the oil filter or drain plug, it’s possible you could take care of an oil change on your own time, even in your own garage. All you need to be able to do is identify certain car parts and follow some instructions.
Lowell, Dracut, and Tewksbury drivers looking to change your own oil: keep reading! You’ll learn all about oil changes from Ira Toyota of Tewksbury as well as how to perform this important maintenance item from the comfort of your own home.
Performing an Oil Change
- It’s important to start by checking your owner’s manual to confirm the type of oil needed and how much should be added.
- You’ll want to then look under your car to locate the drain plug. A container should be placed under the drain plug so it can catch any oil being drained out.
- The oil filter will need to be removed with a filter wrench. Make sure to keep it away from the engine and tip it into the drain pan.
- Wipe around the filter seat and then add a new filter. Use your finger to apply new oil to the gasket—this new oil acts as a sealant of sorts.
- The new filter should be screwed onto the threaded oil line and turned clockwise.
- The copper gasket and oil plug should receive a cleaning.
- Screw in the drain plug, using the wrench to tighten it.
- Pour new oil into the filler hole on top of the engine, being sure to add the recommended number of quarts.
- Check with your dipstick to ensure it’s at the proper level.
- Run the engine and make sure there are no leaks. It also doesn’t hurt to take the car around the block a few times.
How Often Should Oil Be Changed?
While it can vary from car to car, the oil should be changed about every 5,000 miles. Some cars can last longer if synthetic oil is being used, sometimes up to 10,000 miles. However, if you do a lot of heavy towing, the oil may need to be changed sooner. On the flip side, if most of your driving is done on the highway with few stops in between, oil can last up to 7,500 miles or so.
If you’ve noticed any oil smell inside the cabin, or the engine is making loud noises, that might mean it’s time to change the oil.
Let Us Handle Your Next Oil Change
Why fuss around with drain plugs, wrenches, and oil pans when our professional service technicians can handle an oil change for you? An oil change can be done in about 30 to 45 minutes, after which we’ll have you back on the road—all without you having to get your hands dirty.
Let us offer you the convenience of an oil change here at our dealership. Schedule your next service online today!
Ensure Your Engine Is Running Smoothly
Whether you’re changing your own oil or bringing your vehicle into the service technicians at Ira Toyota of Tewksbury, make sure this vital maintenance item is being handled.
It’s important to protect your engine for trips throughout Lowell, Dracut, and Tewksbury. Is it time for service? Contact our service department to schedule an appointment!